7.30.2011

Review: The City Homesteader




"THE CITY HOMESTEADER: Self-Sufficiency on any Square Footage, written by Scott Meyer, former editor-in-chief of Organic Gardening magazine and author of numerous books on organic living. THE CITY HOMESTEADER is a book for anyone who’s ever wanted to grow vegetables, raise livestock or make beef jerky – all within the confines of their high-rise apartment or suburban dwelling—and live a more authentic, self-sufficient lifestyle. And this homesteader life doesn’t end in the kitchen – Meyer provides ways to turn a home into an eco-friendly space with tips on composting, homemade cleaning products and home remedies. And with a plethora of outside resources, Meyer encourages readers to think outside the book to better adapt city homesteading to their everyday lives."


My thoughts:
The City Homesteader covers a little of everything. It's a great guide for becoming a more self-sufficient home, without being overwhelming to newbies. This is the one book I certainly wish I had a year ago when I first started my garden. There are various helpful tips for planting and seed collection, and a simple diagram for creating a rain barrel (another thing on my to-do list)! However, the sections I found most beneficial were on saving foods for later with drying, canning, and freezing. The City Homesteader even has instructions for making your own cheese and yogurt (two things I've been meaning to try)! I'm also intrigued by the idea of raising my own chickens and other small livestock, but that isn't necessarily feasible for us at the moment, so I may return to that section of the book in the future. Overall, I'm impressed by the range of topics covered in The City Homesteader, and the list of resources provided in the back of the book. I've already recommended this book to a few friends, I know they will find it helpful too!

Buy It: The City Homesteader: Self-Sufficiency on Any Square Footage is available at retailers such as Amazon


Disclosure: I received a copy of The City Homesteader from the publisher in order to facilitate this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment