We currently have the following diapers:
10 - bumGenius 3.0
14 Bummis prefolds, and 3 covers (I had the Bummis Organic Cotton Diaper Kit but gave a few things to a friend)
2 GroVia All in One Diaper
2 Fuzzibunz One Size Diaper
2 My Baby's Green cloth diaper
2 Bottombumpers Side Snapping All-in-One Diapers
2 Babee Greens organic cotton diapers
1 Sage One Step Diaper Coversand 2 Diaperaps Infant with umbilical cut-out covers
1 Smartipants diaper
1 Katydid one-size pocket diaper
1 Babee Greens hemp diaper
1 handmade diaper from Etsy
This is our cloth diapering station
My favorite diapers:
Best all-around: bumGenius 3.0
2nd place: Fuzzibunz One Size Diaper
3rd place: GroVia All in One Diaper (I love them but they shrank so now they are a little on the small side)
Most absorbent combination: Babee Greens hemp diaper with a Bummis diaper cover (great for long naps and overnight)
- Secret weapon: Bi-O-Kleen Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator - Bac-Out is wonderful for spot treating stains and odors, I don't know how I ever survived before
- Major time-saver and removes a significant part of the yuck-factor: biodegradable diaper liners
- Necessities: large wet bag or a soak bucket
- Detergents: We've tried Crunchy Clean, Eco Sprout, and Rockin Green (Alice.com has great prices on Rockin Green), all of which work well in removing stains, odors, and buildup.
- Stripping: I didn't know that I needed to strip my diapers until a few months ago, now I do it every time I notice that the diapers are getting less absorbent. For information on stripping, check out this link.
- When do we make exceptions?
If we are traveling I don't cloth diaper, usually I'm not sure when or where I will be able to wash the diapers, and I don't have room in our suitcase. During trips I use either a biodegradable diaper like Broody Chick 100% Natural Fully Compostable Diapers now available from Amazon (but expensive) or a more affordable disposable option (check out the Subscribe &Save deal on Amazon) like Seventh Generation diapers. The thing I also love about getting my diapers on Amazon, is I can order in advance and send diapers to a family member's house and that's one less thing I have to worry about or pack!
What's next for us?
- Cloth diapering two babies at once. I've already started building up a little extra in our diaper stash for Elliot. A few things I'm going to try are the Babee Greens organic cotton diapers, Econobum diapers, and the Sage diaperaps covers.
- Try cloth wipes.
- Adding more boosters to Jacob's diapers because he is a heavy wetter and using the couple hemp boosters I have seems to make a world of difference in preventing leaks. This week I also ordered Thirsties Hemp Inserts and Kissaluvs Cotton Fleece Super Soaker Doublers to try out.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, thank you for supporting my blog!