7.29.2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

I saw a post last week at The Girl Is A Mom about making laundry soap and I decided it looked so simple I needed to try it for myself.



What you will need:
1 cup castile soap (finely grated)
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup washing soda
jar

Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly in the jar and make a label if you like. It should make about 20 loads worth. I use 2 tablespoons for my top loading washer.




My cost for supplies was: $3.53 for one jar of laundry soap ~ 20 loads or $.18/load
$4 Borax
$2.69 Washing Soda
$.50 Baking Soda
$2.99 Dr. Bronner's soap (on sale at Kroger) - used full bar


After making the detergent, I've decided that it is pretty cost effective, but so is buying Crunchy Clean. Crunchy Clean costs about the same amount as if I make my own laundry soap, but it comes in a bunch of fun scents, and it doesn't require any time or effort. So most likely I will keep buying Crunchy Clean, however, it was a good experience to try making my own soap!

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried soap nuts? Borax makes me a little nervous, so I went looking for a gentler alternative and am actually quite happy with the sustainability, cost, and reusability of soap nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard about them. Is there a particular kind you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it makes much difference what company you buy them from (they're a sun-dried berry), although you can choose more sustainably grown or organic ones. I'll be having a giveaway on my blog of some from Maggie's Pure Land (hopefully in a few weeks), if you want to try them for free. I know Mountain Rose Herbs sells them by the pound (there are a LOT of soap nuts in a pound!) for $6 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use almost the exact same recipe (just with ivory soap...cheaper), and I only use 1 tbsp for my loads. Everything comes out nice and clean! If you cut back on the amount you use, your cost would be cut in half! May want to give it a try and see if it works for your family! :-)

    ReplyDelete