6.08.2010

Busy in the Kitchen

I got bit by the homemaker bug today and spent a lot of time working in the kitchen!

I experimented with a new type of fresh organic juice by mixing pear and a couple types of apples. This combination turned out great! I have to say though, so far my favorite juice was the one I made last week that was a mixture of watermelon, green grapes, and strawberries. It tasted almost like a smoothie :)



Also, I decided it was time to dust off the bread maker and make a loaf of wheat bread.
I followed this simple recipe to make a 1 1/2 pound loaf:

8-10 ounces of water
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of canola oil
1 tablespoon of honey
2 cups of bread flour
1 cup of wheat flour
1 3/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast

-Make sure to follow your individual bread machine's cooking instructions



Then for dinner I made Chili!

1 pound of ground beef (I use grass fed beef from Gourmet Pasture Beef)
1 medium onion
1 bell pepper
1 clove of garlic
1 15oz can of black beans (rinsed)
1 15oz can of kidney beans (rinsed)
1 10oz can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis
1 10oz can of Rotel tomatoes and habaneros (if you want mild chili, you can use a second can of tomatoes and green chilis instead)
1 tablespoon of chili powder
3 tablespoons of tomato paste



First brown the beef, onions, pepper, and garlic in a large pot on the stove. Drain any excess liquid and add the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cheese, green onions, and add sour cream.



Now I'm pooped so I'm hanging up my apron for the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment