5.28.2010

Earning Money Online: The Basics

I love being a stay at home mom, but it often means that we have to make sacrifices. I've gotten pretty creative in the ways I save money for our family, and since last August I've been able to financially contribute as well. Currently, I am earning about $100-150 a month online, which may not be much, but $1200-1800 a year is a significant chunk of change!
Most of the money I earn is in the form of Amazon gift cards, which I use to get all sorts of things including organic grocery items. Some of my earnings go to my PayPal account which is nice because I have a PayPal debit card. Every month I report my earnings in my $5 a Day Challenge posts.


How to earn money:
1) Surveys -
The majority of my income comes from completing market research surveys online. I have compiled a list below of legitimate survey sites that have actually paid me money, otherwise I would never recommend them to my readers. If you want to read reviews about each site, you can check out Surveypolice.com. The cool thing about surveys is sometimes you will get a chance to try products for free too. About once a month a produce will show up for me to test and report back on. I've been asked to try food items, perfumes, shampoo, body wash, and paper products.
.
 1. Pinecone Research - not currently accepting applicants, but since I recommend it I wanted to list it in case there are openings in the future
2. Opinion Outpost
3. Lightspeed Panel
4. Surveyhead
5. Ipsos I-say
6. Valued Opinions
7. Toluna
8. SurveySavvy
9. MySurvey
10. HCD Surveys
11. Mindfield



2) Swagbucks -
Swagbucks is a search engine (just like Google) that rewards you randomly for searches. You can also earn points for shopping online, special offers, and referring friends. Swagbucks is an easy way to earn prizes, my favorite is the $5 Amazon gift card for 450 points.  I typically earn a couple gift cards a month.

3) Clicking on Ads/Reading emails-
I use two websites to get paid for clicking on ads. The first is Mypoints, who sends me 5-10 emails a day and rewards me 5 points for clicking the link in each email. Another site is YouData, which pays you to click on ads when you log into your account. I typically earn about $.20-.40 a week this way, and it is deposited into my PayPal account every Friday. Finally, InboxDollars is a site that pays you to read emails and sends out survey invites.


Tips: 
1) Make an email address that you won't mind getting a lot of emails on, including spam. Some days I get 20+ survey invites and I'm sure that I get spam as a result of signing up for some of the survey sites. I don't mind too much because I use an email account that is not for personal emails.

2) Use your time wisely. Consider how much a survey is worth and devote your time to higher paying surveys. This is especially important for websites that reward you in points. For example, Mypoints sends me survey offers for 50 points each and since I need ~1600 points for a $10 gift card, the survey is only worth about $.31, if I spend 20 minutes on it that's $.93/hr.  However, some survey sites like Valued Opinions or Surveyhead pay $2-3 for a 20 minute survey, or $6-9/hr.

3) Sign up for a bunch of sites. The more avenues you have for earning money (i.e. surveys, reading email, Swagbucks, etc.) the more you will earn!

4) It's okay to be skeptical, it's a good thing! There are a lot of scams out there that you should be careful to avoid. Never provide personal information that you don't feel comfortable sharing (i.e. social security number, back account information, etc.) and remember that you shouldn't have to pay for any of these websites!

Disclosure: This post contains referral links.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man I feel your pain lol I think i feel gulity for not working until i realize that taking care of two kids is hard work! We just don't get paided for it in cash, but in love :) *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain lol I think i feel gulity for not working until i realize that taking care of two kids is hard work! We just don't get paided for it in cash

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete