1.31.2010

Creative Kitchen: Jambalaya



I originally found my jambalaya recipe here:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oven-Baked-Jambalaya/Detail.aspx

This recipe makes a large amount, but we like leftovers! Here's how I modify it:


  • 1/2 cup butter



  • 1 large onion, diced



  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (I use 2 peppers)



  • 4 stalks celery, chopped (sometimes I skip the celery and buy Hunts canned tomatoes that has celery in it)



  • 4 cloves garlic, minced



  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste



  • 3 bay leaves (I leave this out)



  • 3 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning



  • 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce



  • 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes



  • 7 cups chicken stock (you will only need about 4 cups if you cook on the stove)



  • 3 cups chopped cooked ham (I skip this)



  • 3 cups cooked andouille sausage, sliced



  • 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces (I skip this)



  • 3 cups frozen cooked shrimp (defrost in a strainer first)



  • 4 cups uncooked long-grain white rice (use Minute rice)





  • The recipe says to cook it in the oven, I tried that twice and my rice wasn't getting cooked all the way so I cook it on the stove now.

    1. Cook the Minute rice in a large pot (follow the directions on the box)
    2. In a large bowl combine the other ingredients except for the chicken stock or broth




    3. Add ingredients into the pot with rice in it and add chicken stock to the consistency you want it (more it you want it soupy or less if you want it more of a rice dish). Note: I split it into two large pots.
    4. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sausage and shrimp are warm and the bell peppers are soft (about 15-20 min)
    5. Stir in chili powder if you like
    6. I store the leftovers in mason jars

    2 comments:

    1. Does storing them in mason jars prolong their longevity? Or are the just for decorative storing?...either way, I like:-)

      ariane

      ReplyDelete
    2. I find that it keeps better in the fridge when I store it in glass. Plus I'm trying to make the shift to only heating and storing in glass because plastics break down.

      ReplyDelete