1.26.2010

Creative Kitchen: Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce

What you need:
3 lbs of apples (6-8 apples)
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
large mason jar





1. Peel the apples. I leave a little peel on here and there because I like the texture it gives the applesauce.

2. Cube the apples into small pieces.
3. Place the apples in large pot and add water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let them simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes.

4. After simmering, the apple chunks should mash easily.
5. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Stir and let cool.

6. Once cooled, store the applesauce in a mason jar and refrigerate.

6 comments:

  1. I made this last month... But your recipe is so simple & easy.. unlike mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually i got the recipe from Youtube (baked applesauce). Used the same ingredients as yours + cardomom & butter & baked it for 45 minutes. Next time I'm going to try it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It probably tastes richer with the butter :)
    I just ate a bowlful of my batch from this morning and I think it would be safe to add more sugar if you want the recipe to be sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Michelle--

    We were talking apple sauce in December at your parents--both my mom and I make our own (often with a nice pork roast), but I go even simpler. Depending on the type of apples you use, you don't even need sugar. So for me its just the apples simmering with a cinnamon stick. Yum!

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Galas which are pretty sweet, so sometimes I don't add any sugar. I remember you mentioning that about the cinnamon sticks. I need to get some for next time.

    ReplyDelete