What you need:
1 packet of yeast
1 cup of warm water
1 tsp of sugar
3 cups of flour
1 jar of pizza sauce or pasta sauce (I like using the pasta sauce that has small chunks of Italian sausage)
Cheese (whatever you like... I use a shredded Italian or Pizza cheese mix)
Pepperoni (or ham or veggies!)
1. Add packet of yeast to 1 cup of warm water. It needs to be warm enough for the yeast to dissolve, so more on the Hot side of "warm"
2. Let the yeast dissolve for about 10 minutes, it will look creamy. Then add the sugar and stir. If the steps were done properly then the mixture will bubble after another 10 minutes.
3. Pour into a mixing bowl and add flour a little a time, stir until it is well mixed and you can knead it. If you like you can add Italian seasoning as you stir in the flour.
4. Knead the dough until it is no longer lumpy, then add about a table spoon of oil (I use olive oil) to the bottom of the bowl and roll the ball of dough in it until the entire ball is covered evenly. Now cover the bowl with a towel that has been dampened in warm water. Let it rise for 45 minutes.
5. After 45 minutes, punch down the dough and let it rise another 45 minutes. (I've skipped the 2nd rise before and it's turned out fine)
6. Divide the dough into 6 portions and roll out flat into an oval shape. put spoonfuls of sauce, cheese, and pepperoni in the center, leave enough room on the edges to fold it in half and pinch edges over to seal the pocket. You can brush a mixture of water and beaten egg on the eggs to help it stick together.
7. Lay on a greased cookie sheet and poke some holes on the top of the calzones with a fork or toothpick so it can vent.
8. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees