12.18.2009

Thinking about making your own baby food?

Making your own baby food is a great way to save money and also ensure that you know EXACTLY what goes into your baby's tummy. I've compiled a list of a couple essential items and I've also included a recipe for muffins at the bottom. Anyone have any tips? I welcome comments and suggestions, and especially recipes!
Fresh Baby So Easy Baby Food/Breast Milk Trays

These are great because each section is 1 ounce, and you can keep the food nice and fresh in the freezer by securing the lids on top. Once frozen, the cubes may be stored in ziplocs too.


Super Baby Food My friend recommended this book and gave me a copy at my baby shower. My impression is that this book is basically the "bible" for feeding your baby! I really love the variety of recipes, and the chapter on making other baby items such as wipes and diaper rash treatment.


Another book that had really good reviews is Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby.



Finally, and very importantly, you need a food processor or blender. The type and size you use really depends on you. I found the Black & Decker EHC650 2-Speed Food Chopper with 3-Cup Bowl for $19.99! This chopper has 220 reviews with 5 stars on Amazon, that's enough to convince me.




Baby Muffin Recipe (I've tried them, and they are YUMMY!)
1 cup iron fortified infant cereal (such as oatmeal)
1 4oz baby juice (any flavor or variety)
8oz of stage 2 baby food (such as sweet potato)
1/2 brown sugar, packed
1 whole egg (or 2 yolks if preferred)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 and prepare baby-sized muffin tins with cup liners.
2. Mix all ingredients together, leaving four for last. The batter should not be very lumpy.
3. Spoon the batter into cups.
4. Bake until golden brown and it passes the "clean toothpick poke test"
5. The baking time will vary depending on the muffin size and type of tin. Approximately 10 minutes for baby sized muffins without juice or 14 minutes with juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment